This recipe is a long-time favorite. I have no idea where it comes from, except I remember baking it with my mom when I was little. It’s the easiest vanilla cake recipe in the world, it’s so versatile that it’s cupcake and mini-cupcake versions are just as delicious; and I don’t doubt it doubles or triples easily if need be.
To turn this into a lovely chocolate cake, reduce flour to 1 1/2 cups, and add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa. Works great if you want to make a marble cake. It also works great with gluten-free flour, although the top of the cake doesn’t even out very well, the taste is all there.
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of soft butter (1 stick or 125 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk (I use half-and-half or whole milk if possible; but any works)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius
- Sift flour and sugar together (this step can be skipped, but the texture of the cake is better if it isn’t)
- Combine all ingredients into one bowl
- Beat with wire whisk or rotary beater for 2-3 minutes or until smooth
- CAKE: Bake in greased pan for about 30 minutes
- CUPCAKES: Bake in holders for about 20 minutes